Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Day 15 Tuesday August 7, 2008

As night turned into day I enjoyed watching the coastline appear as if from nowhere. The shore was scattered with large rocks that I was happy our computer had navigated us passed in the dark. I listened to my ipod all morning and enjoyed the calmness of the ocean. It is so peaceful out here with just the birds floating by to keep us company. I took awhile figuring out the lay of the land ahead of us, getting ready to navigate us through the series of green and red buoys marking the entrance to the harbor.

We docked the boat and practically ran ashore not even bothering to shut and lock the hatch like we always do when the both of us leave. Again we were surrounded mostly by fishing boats but there were at least a handful of pleasure crafts on our dock. So we wandered around the harbor area not finding much of interest. The 101 was right next to the dock and we could see a series of hotels on the other side of the highway, we also saw a gas station and a restaurant. We walked over to the Fisherman’s which is like an upscale Denny’s and ordered two cups of coffee. What else were we going to do at 6:30 in the morning? After deciding I could probably make a better, less greasy, breakfast back on the boat we walked back.

Eager for a shower I packed up my bag at headed off to check in at the marina office and gain access to the harbor facilities. I paid for one nights stay, which came to $15 and the office lady told me a little about the city. The shower felt wonderful and there was plenty of hot water. Back at the boat we both did odds and ends to tidy up and prepare for our departure the following day. Then we took naps.

Forcing my self to get up a little after 4pm I dressed and talked my dad into going for a walk. After deciding the actual downtown area of Crescent City was probably going to leave something to be desired we took a walk towards the lighthouse at the western most point of the bay. It turned out be quite a walk as we came to one dead end and had back track a bit and then walk around a small creek flowing into the bay. Soon there was a path which took us through a large park toward the lighthouse. The sun had finally come out and by this time there were blue skies for the first time today. And it was warm! I mean warmer. I walked in just my t-shirt and jeans and was very comfortable. We had made it to sunny and warm California. Hopefully this was a sign I would no longer need to wear my beanie and ski gloves. On our way back we decided to have dinner at this pizza place right off the 101. It was alright, nothing to right home about (uh…..ha ha). After a movie we were off to bed and sleeping soundly by 10pm.

No comments: